Sunday, November 28, 2010

I can see clearly now

Before we could crank up the furnace and get water running through our house we needed to get our windows in. Easier said than done. The ones in the new part went in no problem as the frames were built to accommodate the new windows.

We also got the new doors installed. We love the way the french doors turned out. We also love that we now have doors that close and lock.

However there was a mix up with the windows for the old part. We wanted to retain as many period features are possible and keeping the window mouldings was a must. However the person who came to measure our windows assumed we would be replacing the whole thing so ordered the windows a few inches too big. When the contractors went to install them he realised the error and we had to re-order all 4 windows on the ground floor. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but it did set us back a month in getting all the windows replaced. After a months wait the old windows in the dining room and living room were carefully removed and the new ones popped into the old frames. The only problem now was that there were obvious gaps between the frames and the windows are the house had grown a bit crooked in it's old age. For now we would leave it as it was, but eventually we would have to come up with a solution.

Fortunately for us the windows upstairs did not have any mouldings around them so we decided to keep those ones. The only problem was that the plaster around the windows was slightly damaged in order to get the new windows in.

The bay window was finished off with the installation of the new windows.

It is such a great feeling to know that our house is finally all closed in. The windows and doors all look great and we couldn't be happier with the results.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...